Immediate action required: Call 999 or go to A&E if:
- you get a skin rash that may include itchy, red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- you're wheezing
- you get tightness in the chest or throat
- you have trouble breathing or talking
- your mouth, face, lips, tongue or throat start swelling
You could be having a serious allergic reaction and may need immediate treatment in hospital.
These are not all the side effects of Kaflam. For a full list, see the leaflet inside your medicine packet.
You can report any suspected side effect to the UK safety scheme.
Find Lowest Prices on
VOLTAREN® (Kaflam sodium) Enteric-coated Tablets
HEPATOTOXICITY, CARDIAC TOXICITY, EMBRYO-FETAL TOXICITY
Q: What are the side effects of Kaflam?
A: The most commonly reported side effects of Kaflam (Cataflam, Voltaren-XR) are dyspepsia, nausea, abdominal pain, constipation, headache, dizziness, rash, and drowsiness. More serious (and rarer) reactions include stroke, high blood pressure, GI bleed, and heart attack. However, I have seen this drug used frequently without any problems.
Drugs that affect the flow of blood
Taking Kaflam with other drugs that affect the flow of blood through your body can increase your risk of bleeding. Examples of these drugs include:
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as escitalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, and sertraline
- serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), such as desvenlafaxine, duloxetine, venlafaxine, and levomilnacipran
Rated Kaflam for Myalgia Report
The Oral Kaflam was horrendous on my stomach from the first pill. Didn't help with all over connective tissue pain. Stopped taking it after 2 pills. That Said: the Topical Kaflam gel works miracles on almost All types of pain including arthritis to muscle and even headaches. I rub this gel (light cream) into all parts of body and the pain is either reduced or completely gone. Don't be concerned about the amount of topical gel you rub into the body as only a tiny (less than 4 percent) of the active ingredient makes it into the body causing issues. No issues at all with the topical and many doctors and patients view this gel as a real pain reducer. I have literally rubbed this gel onto arms, legs, back, neck and forehead and horrendous pain reduced hugely. With the war on opioids being waged against chronic pain patients this is one fantastic pain reducing weapon. Slather this on, rub it in, but do Not take the oral version of Kaflam.
Kaflam Vs Ibuprofen side effects
The incidence of these side effects will be increrased if ibuprofen and Kaflam are taken together or overdosed.
Q: Could Kaflam cause excess bleeding from dental surgery?
A: Kaflam (Cataflam, Flector, Voltaren-XR, Zipsor) can affect platelets and may prolong bleeding. As always, consult with your health care provider regarding what medications need to be stopped prior to dental surgery. Jennyfer Marisco, RPh
See Table 2 for clinically significant drug interactions with Kaflam.
Table 2: Clinically Significant Drug Interactions with KaflamDrugs That Interfere with HemostasisClinical Impact:
- Kaflam and anticoagulants such as warfarin have a synergistic effect on bleeding. The concomitant use of Kaflam and anticoagulants have an increased risk of serious bleeding compared to the use of either drug alone.
- Serotonin release by platelets plays an important role in hemostasis. Case-control and cohort epidemiological studies showed that concomitant use of drugs that interfere with serotonin reuptake and an NSAID may potentiate the risk of bleeding more than an NSAID alone.
More common side effects
The more common side effects that can occur with Kaflam gel include:
- itching or rash at application site
- stomach pain