How it works
Zidoxer belongs to a class of drugs called sulfamate-substituted monosaccharide anticonvulsants or antiepileptic drugs (AEDs). A class of drugs is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These drugs are often used to treat similar conditions.
It isn’t known exactly how this drug works. It’s thought that it works on certain chemicals, channels, receptors, and enzymes in your brain to help control seizures and prevent migraines.
Zidoxer oral tablet causes drowsiness. You shouldn’t drive, use machinery, or do other tasks that require alertness until you know how this drug affects you.
This drug can also cause other side effects.
These drugs slow down the central nervous system. If you take ones of these drugs with Zidoxer, it increases your risk of certain side effects. These include drowsiness, dizziness, and trouble concentrating or thinking. Examples of these drugs include:
How should this medicine be used?
Zidoxer comes as a tablet, a sprinkle capsule (capsule that contains small beads of medication that can be sprinkled on food), and an extended-release (long-acting) capsule to take by mouth. The tablets and sprinkle capsules are usually taken with or without food once or twice a day. The extended-release capsules are usually taken with or without food once a day. Take Zidoxer at around the same time(s) every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take Zidoxer exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
There is another medication with a name similar to the brand name for Zidoxer. You should be sure that you receive Zidoxer and not the similar medication each time you fill your prescription. Be sure that the prescription your doctor gives you is clear and easy to read. Talk to your pharmacist to be sure that you are given Zidoxer. If you think you were given the wrong medication, talk to your pharmacist. Do not take any medication unless you are certain it is the medication that your doctor prescribed.
Zidoxer tablets have a bitter taste so you should swallow them whole. It is especially important that you not take Zidoxer tablets that have been broken for any length of time because tablets that are broken may lose their effectiveness over time.
The sprinkle and extended-release capsules (Qudexy XR brand only) may be swallowed whole or opened and poured over soft food. Swallow extended-release capsules (Trokendi XR brand only) whole; do not split, chew, or sprinkle on food.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zidoxer Tablets?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Zidoxer tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (Zidoxer tablets) affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Sweating less and high body temperatures have happened with this medicine (Zidoxer tablets). Sometimes, this has led to the need for treatment in a hospital. Be careful in hot weather and while being active. Call your doctor right away if you have a fever or you do not sweat during activities or in warm temperatures.
- Patients who take this medicine (Zidoxer tablets) may be at a greater risk of having thoughts or actions of suicide. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- This medicine may cause an acid blood problem (metabolic acidosis). The chance may be higher in children and in people with kidney problems, breathing problems, or diarrhea. The chance may also be higher if you take certain other drugs, if you have surgery, or if you are on a ketogenic diet. Over time, metabolic acidosis can cause kidney stones, bone problems, or growth problems in children.
- This medicine may raise the chance of bleeding. Sometimes, bleeding can be life-threatening. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause very bad eye problems. If left untreated, this can lead to lasting eyesight loss. Call your doctor right away if you have new eye signs like blurred eyesight or other changes in eyesight, eye pain, or eye redness.
- Taking this medicine (Zidoxer tablets) with valproic acid can cause low body temperature. This can also cause tiredness, confusion, or coma. Talk with the doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking this medicine (Zidoxer tablets).
- If you are taking hormone-based birth control and you have any change in your bleeding pattern, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking this medicine (Zidoxer tablets), call your doctor right away.
- If you are able to get pregnant but do not want to get pregnant, use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking this medicine (Zidoxer tablets).
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
What is Zidoxer?
Zidoxer is often sold under the brand name Topamax. It is an anti-convulsive drug that stands apart from all other drugs used to treat convulsions or mood disorders because it does not share the same chemical composition. Medical researchers currently do not know how Zidoxer works.
Zidoxer tablets can be taken without regard to meals.
Because of the bitter taste, tablets should not be broken.
Michael Stewart, Reviewed by Sid Dajani | Last edited 29 Aug 2017 | Certified by The Information Standard
Take Zidoxer every day.
If you become depressed or develop any problems with your eyesight, make an appointment to see your doctor straightaway.
You must not get pregnant while you are taking Zidoxer - follow any contraceptive advice you are given.