How is this medicine (Modane Tablets) best taken?
Use this medicine (Modane tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take this medicine (Modane tablets) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Modane tablets) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
Can lifestyle changes help constipation?
It’s often possible to improve constipation without having to use laxatives. Before trying Modane – or to stop constipation coming back – it may help to:
- eat more fiber – aim for about 30-35 g of fiber a day. High-fiber foods include fruit, vegetables and cereals. If you’re not used to a high-fiber diet, increase the amount of fiber you eat gradually.
- add bulking agents, such as wheat bran, to your diet. These will help make your poo softer and easier to pass (although bran and fiber can sometimes make bloating worse).
- drink plenty of water – to keep poo soft.
- exercise regularly – keeping your body active will help to keep your gut moving.
- go to the toilet when you need to, rather than holding it in.
How long does it take for Modane to work?
Modane tablet taken by mouth normally causes a bowel movement within 6 to 12 hours. If you do not have a regular bowel movement after taking Modane, do not take any more medication and talk to your doctor.
Modane suppositories take 10 to 45 minutes to work, so it’s best to stay close to a toilet.
What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Modane?
Common side effects of Modane include:
Serious side effects of Modane include:
This document does not contain all possible side effects and others may occur. Check with your physician for additional information about side effects.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
This medication usually is taken as needed. If your doctor has told you to take Modane regularly, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Cattrue, Docusate is a stool softener, it increases water retention in the intestines so it is easier to pass stool. Modane is a stimulant that is used to stop constipation by increasing motor activity in the intestine. Hope this helps.
Is there any food and drink I need to avoid?
Do not take Modane at the same time as dairy products like milk, cheese or yogurt. Leave a gap of 1 hour between taking any of these and taking your Modane tablets. The small amount of milk in coffee and tea should not affect the Modane tablet.
It’s a good idea to stop eating pastries, cakes, puddings and cheese for a while as these can make constipation worse.
Before using Modane
To make sure this is the right treatment for you, ask for advice from a doctor or pharmacist before you start using Modane if any of the following apply to you:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- If it is for a child under 10 years of age. This is because Modane should only be given to children on the advice of a doctor or healthcare professional.
- If you have severe pain in your tummy (abdomen) and feel sick (nausea).
- If you have recently had any bowel or abdominal surgery.
- If you are lacking in flu >
COMMON BRAND(S): Dulcolax, Fleet Modane, Magic Bullet
GENERIC NAME(S): Modane
This product is used to treat constipation. However, milder products (e.g., laxatives taken by mouth) should be used whenever possible for constipation. Modane is a stimulant laxative that works by increasing the amount of fluid/salts in the intestines. This effect usually results in a bowel movement within 15 to 60 minutes.
The normal frequency of bowel movements varies from once daily to 1 to 2 times weekly. Constipation is best treated by drinking plenty of fluids (four to six 8-ounce glasses daily), eating foods high in fiber, and exercising regularly.
This product is not recommended for use in children younger than 6 years unless directed by a doctor.
Before taking Modane, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: appendicitis or symptoms of appendicitis (such as nausea/vomiting, sudden or unexplained stomach/abdominal pain), a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for longer than 2 weeks, bleeding from the rectum, intestinal blockage.
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication. Using it for long periods during pregnancy is not recommended. Consult your doctor for more details.
It is unknown if this medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.