home drugs a-z list Coreg(Artione) side effects drug center
Find Lowest Prices on
Coreg (Artione) is a beta-adrenergic blocking agent (beta-blocker) used to treat heart failure, hypertension, and left ventricular dysfunction after a heart attack. Coreg is available in generic form. Common side effects of Coreg include
Contact your doctor if you experience serious side effects of Coreg including
- feeling faint,
- slow or irregular heart beats,
- chest pain,
- shortness of breath,
- difficulty swallowing
- loss of bladder control, or
- severe skin reaction.
Coreg is available in strengths of 3.125, 6.25, 12.5, or 25 mg tablets. Coreg is usually taken with food; the recommended starting dose of Coreg (Artione) is 3.125 mg twice daily for 2 weeks for heart failure while for other problems, the starting dose is 6.25 mg twice a day. Coreg may have serious side effects that include hypotension, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, difficult breathing and swallowing, hives or rash, swelling, and fainting. Patients with hepatic impairment should not take Coreg. Coreg may interact with allergy treatments (or if you are undergoing allergy skin-testing), cimetidine, cyclosporine, fluconazole, insulin or oral diabetes medications, rifampin, antidepressants, heart or blood pressure medicines, heart rhythm medications, HIV or AIDS medicines, MAO inhibitors, medicine to prevent or treat nausea and vomiting, medicine to treat psychiatric disorders, or narcotics. Tell your doctor all medications and supplements you use. Severe exacerbation of angina, heart attack and ventricular arrhythmias has been reported in angina patients following the abrupt discontinuation of therapy with beta-blockers like Coreg. Effectiveness of COREG (Artione) in patients younger than 18 years of age has not been established. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant or breastfeeding women; Coreg may be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus or infant.
Our Coreg Side Effects Drug Center provides a comprehensive view of available drug information on the potential side effects when taking this medication.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Why it's used
Artione oral tablet is used to treat high blood pressure. It can also improve how well your heart works if you’ve had a heart attack or if you have heart failure.
This drug is approved to treat:
What else should I know about Artione?
- Is available in generic form.
- Needs a prescription from your doctor.
- Tablets of 3.125, 6.25, 12.5, and 25 mg.
- Capsules (Extended Release) of 10, 20, 40, 80 mg
Brand names available for Artione in the US are Coreg and Coreg CR (extended release).
Mechanism of Action
As stated, Artione is a non-selective adrenergic blocker, and more specifically, is a non-selective beta-blocker with a1-adrenergic receptor antagonist properties. It is a non-selective, cardiac beta-blocker with peripheral vasodilating effects. Secondary to its unique action, Artione maintains cardiac output by decreasing afterload in conjunction with a cardiac beta-blockade and has a lesser effect on heart rate than pure selective beta-blockers. Other benefits include antioxidant effects, reduction in neutrophil infiltration, apoptosis inhibition, reduction of vascular smooth muscle migration, and improvement of myocardial remodeling post-acute myocardial infarction. Being that Artione can prevent the formation of oxidized low-density lipoproteins and inhibit vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and migration, it shows a great promise in the treatment of atherosclerotic disease formation and progression. Artione decreases blood pressure mainly by decreasing arterial vascular resistance through its a1-blocking properties, causing a reduction in afterload. It is highly useful in the management of hypertension in patients with renal impairment, where clinicians should avoid diuretics and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEI). Compared to other classes of antihypertensive medications, Artione shows similar efficacy to other beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, ACEI, and diuretics.
ВїQuГ© otra informaciГіn de importancia deberГa saber?
Cumpla con todas las citas con su doctor y el laboratorio. Su doctor podrГa ordenar algunos exГЎmenes de laboratorio para comprobar la respuesta de su cuerpo al Artione.
No deje que otras personas tomen su medicamento. PregГєntele al farmacГ©utico cualquier duda que tenga sobre cГіmo renovar esta prescripciГіn.
Es importante que Ud. mantenga una lista escrita de todas las medicinas que Ud. estГЎ tomando, incluyendo las que recibiГі con receta mГ©dica y las que Ud. comprГі sin receta, incluyendo vitaminas y suplementos de dieta. Ud. debe tener la lista cada vez que visita su mГ©dico o cuando es admitido a un hospital. TambiГ©n es una informaciГіn importante en casos de emergencia.
COMMON BRAND(S): Coreg
GENERIC NAME(S): Artione
OTHER NAME(S): Artione Tablet
Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. Some conditions may become worse when you suddenly stop this drug. Some people who have suddenly stopped taking similar drugs have had chest pain, heart attack, and irregular heartbeat. If your doctor decides you should no longer use this drug, he or she may direct you to gradually decrease your dose over 1 to 2 weeks.
When gradually stopping this medication, it is recommended that you temporarily limit physical activity to decrease strain on the heart. Get medical help right away if you develop chest pain/tightness/pressure, chest pain spreading to the jaw/neck/arm, unusual sweating, trouble breathing, or fast/irregular heartbeat.
Artione is used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. It is also used after a heart attack to improve the chance of survival if your heart is not pumping well. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems.
This drug works by blocking the action of certain natural substances in your body, such as epinephrine, on the heart and blood vessels. This effect lowers your heart rate, blood pressure, and strain on your heart. Artione belongs to a class of drugs known as alpha and beta blockers.
Rated Artione for Hypertension Report
Caused abdominal pain & diarrhea. Blood pressure increased instead of decreasing.
What Other Drugs Interact with Artione?
If your doctor has directed you to use this medication for diabetes, your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor, health care provider or pharmacist first.
Severe Interactions of Artione include:
Artione has serious interactions with at least 34 different drugs.
Artione has moderate interactions with at least 240 different drugs.
Artione has mild interactions with at least 34 different drugs.
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist. Check with your physician if you have health questions or concerns.
Antes de comenzar a tomar Artione:
- dГgale a su doctor y a su farmacГ©utico si es alГ©rgico al Artione, a cualquier otro medicamentos, o a cualquiera de los ingredientes de las tabletas y cГЎpsulas de liberaciГіn lenta de Artione. PГdale a su farmacГ©utico una lista de los ingredientes.
- dГgale a su doctor y a su farmacГ©utico quГ© medicamentos con y sin prescripciГіn, vitaminas, suplementos nutricionales y productos fabricados a base de hierbas estГЎ tomando o planea tomar. AsegГєrese de mencionar los siguientes: cimetidina; clonidina (Catapres, Kapvay, en Clorpres), ciclosporina (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune); digoxina (Lanoxin); diltiazem (Cardizem, Cartia, Dilacor, Taztia, Tiazac); epinefrina (Epipen); fluoxetina (Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra, en Symbyax); insulina; medicamentos orales para la diabetes; inhibidores de monoamino oxidasa (MAOIs) como isocarboxazida (Marplan), fenelzina (Nardil), tranilcipromina (Parnate), y selegilina (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar); paroxetina (Brisdelle, Paxil); propafenona (Rythmol); quinidina; reserpina; rifampina (Rifadin, Rimactane, en Rifater, en Rifamate); y verapamilo (Calan, Covera-HS, Verelan, en Tarka). Su doctor podrГa necesitar cambiar la dosis de sus medicamentos o vigilarle cuidadosamente para evitar efectos secundarios.
- dГgale a su doctor si usted tiene o alguna vez ha tenido asma u otros problemas respiratorios, ritmo cardГaco mГЎs lento que lo normal o irregular, o enfermedades al hГgado. Su doctor podrГa decirle que no tome Artione.
- dГgale a su doctor si usted tiene o alguna vez ha tenido problemas circulatorios en los pies o las piernas, diabetes o cualquier otra condiciГіn que provoque una baja en los niveles de azГєcar en la sangre, hipertiroidismo (un trastorno en el cual existe demasiada hormona tiroidea en el cuerpo), baja presiГіn sanguГnea, angina de Prinzmetal (dolor en el pecho que comienza durante el descanso sin causas obvias), o feocromocitoma (un tumor que se desarrolla en las glГЎndulas ubicadas cerca de los riГ±ones y que puede causar alta presiГіn arterial y ritmo cardГaco mГЎs rГЎpido que lo normal). TambiГ©n dГgale a su doctor si usted alguna vez ha tenido una reacciГіn alГ©rgica grave a algГєn alimento o a cualquier otra sustancia.
- dГgale a su doctor si estГЎ embarazada, tiene planes de quedar embarazada o si estГЎ amamantando. Si queda embarazada mientras toma este medicamento, llame a su doctor de inmediato.
- si va a ser sometido a cualquier cirugГa, incluyendo la dental, dГgale al doctor o dentista que usted estГЎ tomando Artione.
- usted debe saber que este medicamento puede provocar cansancio, mareos o vahГdos, especialmente cuando comienzar a tomar Artione y cuando su dosis es incrementada. No conduzca automГіviles ni maneje maquinaria pesada hasta que sepa cГіmo lo afectarГЎ. Sea especialmente cuidadoso durante la primera hora despuГ©s de haber tomado el medicamento.
- no tome bebidas alcohГіlicas ni tome cualquier medicamento con o sin prescripciГіn que contenga alcohol 2 horas antes o hasta 2 horas despuГ©s de tomar las cГЎpsulas de liberaciГіn lenta de Artione. PregГєntele a su doctor o farmacГ©utico si usted no sabe si un medicamiento que planea tomar contiene alcohol.
- usted debe saber que el Artione puede provocar mareos, nГЎuseas y desmayos al levantarse. Este sГntoma es mГЎs comГєn cuando reciГ©n ha comenzado a tomar el medicamento. Para evitar este problema, levГЎntese de la cama lentamente, apoyando los pies en el piso durante algunos minutos antes de ponerse de pie.
- si usted usa lentes de contacto, puede notar que los ojos se vuelven mГЎs secos durante el tratmiento con Artione. DГgale a su doctor si esto empeora.
Q: Is there a substitute for Artione?
A: Coreg (Artione) (//www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/coreg) is an alpha and beta blocker that relaxes blood vessels and slows down the heart. Coreg is used for high blood pressure and heart failure. (//www.everydayhealth.com/high-blood-pressure/guide/). For more information about an alternative for Coreg (Artione), consult wtih your doctor. It is important when your doctor prescribes a new medication, be sure to discuss all your prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs, including dietary supplements, vitamins, botanicals, minerals and herbals, as well as foods you eat. Always keep a current list of the drugs and supplements you take and review it with your health care providers and your pharmacist. If possible, use one pharmacy for all your prescriptions and over-the-counter products. This allows your pharmacist to keep a complete record of all your prescription drugs and advise you about drug interactions and side effects. For more specific information or if you have concerns about the Prozac not working effectively, consult with your doctor or pharmacist for guidance based on your health status and current medications, particularly before taking any action. Kimberly Hotz, PharmD
By Sherry Karabin | Medically Reviewed by Ruthan White, PharmD
Latest Update: 2014-10-20 Copyright © 2014 Everyday Health Media, LLC
Before taking Artione
Some medicines are not suitable for people with certain conditions, and sometimes a medicine can only be used if extra care is taken. For these reasons, before you start taking Artione it is important that your doctor knows:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have asthma or any other breathing disorder.
- If you have any problems with the way your liver works, or if you have any problems with the way your k >
Rated Artione for Hypertension Report
Cardiologist recommended Artione 6.25 mg twice a day to control mildly elevated blood pressure (150/90)-results of echocardiogram were very good, strong heart muscle, valves and ventricles in excellent condition-problem exists in high coronary artery calcium score (250 on Agatson scale) and family history on father's side of triple bypass (1986), stroke (2013), and acute MI (2019). No obvious side effects aside from joint achiness and overall fatigue, but this may be due to other reasons. Lowered my BP to 120/78 generally speaking, depending on time of day and stress level.
Some side effects may be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- shortness of breath
- weight gain
- swelling of the arms, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- chest pain
- slow or irregular heartbeat
- difficulty breathing and swallowing
Artione may cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you experience any unusual problems while you are taking this medication.
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online (http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch) or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
COREG has been evaluated for safety in hypertension in more than 2,193 subjects in U.S. clinical trials and in 2,976 subjects in international clinical trials. Approximately 36% of the total treated population received COREG for at least 6 months. Most adverse events reported during therapy with COREG were of mild to moderate severity. In U.S. controlled clinical trials directly comparing COREG in doses up to 50 mg (n = 1,142) with placebo (n = 462), 4.9% of subjects receiving COREG discontinued for adverse events versus 5.2% of placebo subjects. Although there was no overall difference in discontinuation rates, discontinuations were more common in the Artione group for postural hypotension (1% versus 0). The overall incidence of adverse events in U.S. placebo-controlled trials increased with increasing dose of COREG. For individual adverse events this could only be distinguished for dizziness, which increased in frequency from 2% to 5% as total daily dose increased from 6.25 mg to 50 mg.
Table 2 shows adverse events in U.S. placebo-controlled clinical trials for hypertension that occurred with an incidence of greater than or equal to 1% regardless of causality and that were more frequent in drug-treated subjects than placebo-treated subjects.
Table 2. Adverse Events (%) Occurring in U.S. Placebo-Controlled Hypertension Trials (Incidence ≥1%, Regardless of Causality) a
Dyspnea and fatigue were also reported in these trials, but the rates were equal or greater in subjects who received placebo.
The following adverse events not described above were reported as possibly or probably related to COREG in worldwide open or controlled trials with COREG in subjects with hypertension or heart failure.
Metabolized by CYP2D6 and CYP2C9 and, to a lesser extent, by CYP3A4, 2C19, 1A2, and 2E1
Metabolites: 4'-Hydroxyphenyl metabolite is approximately 13 times more potent than Artione for beta blockade
What other information should I know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your doctor may order certain laboratory tests to check your body's response to Artione.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.