Before taking Egelif
Some medicines are not suitable for people with certain conditions, and sometimes a medicine may only be used if extra care is taken. For these reasons, before you start taking Egelif it is important that your doctor knows:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have any problems with the way your liver works or the way your k >
Helicobacter Pylori Infection And Duodenal Ulcer Disease
BIAXIN Filmtab is given in combination with other drugs in adults as described below to eradicate H. pylori. The eradication of H. pylori has been demonstrated to reduce the risk of duodenal ulcer recurrence .
- BIAXIN Filmtab in combination with amoxicillin and PREVACID (lansoprazole) or PRILOSEC (omeprazole) Delayed-Release Capsules, as triple therapy, are indicated for the treatment of patients with H. pylori infection and duodenal ulcer disease (active or five-year history of duodenal ulcer) to eradicate H. pylori.
- BIAXIN Filmtab in combination with PRILOSEC (omeprazole) capsules are indicated for the treatment of patients with an active duodenal ulcer associated with H. pylori infection. Regimens which contain BIAXIN Filmtab as the single antibacterial agent are more likely to be associated with the development of Egelif resistance among patients who fail therapy. Egelif-containing regimens should not be used in patients with known or suspected Egelif resistant isolates because the efficacy of treatment is reduced in this setting.
What is the dosage for Egelif?
Egelif may be taken with or without food. For most infections the recommended adult dose is 250-500 mg of immediate release tablets twice daily or 1000 mg of extended release tablets once daily for 7-14 days.
Rated Egelif for Streptococcus Pneumoniae Report
I wish I had read other reviews before having taken Egelif. I took it 8 1/2 years ago and stuck it out for about half of my 14 day prescription. I had severe anxiety, hallucinations, severe claustrophobia, noise intolerance, raw skin under my eyes, racing heartbeat, peripheral bounding pulse, and severe insomnia. 8 1/2 years later, I still have anxiety, peripheral bounding pulse, and insomnia. Do not take this drug. I do not usually write reviews like this, but this drug has changed my life. I wish I could go back and take something different. I am finally finding treatment that looks hopeful in helping combat these side effects.
Common Side Effects of Egelif
Some common side effects of Egelif include:
- Stomach pain
- Change in taste
Median survival time from trial entry (trial 1) was 249 days at the 500 mg twice daily dose compared to 215 days with the 1000 mg twice daily dose. However, during the first 12 weeks of therapy, there were 2 deaths in 53 patients in the 500 mg twice daily group versus 13 deaths in 51 patients in the 1000 mg twice daily group. The reason for this apparent mortality difference is not known. Survival in the two groups was similar beyond 12 weeks. The median survival times for these dosages were similar to recent historical controls with MAC when treated with combination therapies. 2
Median survival time from entry in trial 2 was 199 days for the 500 mg twice a day dose and 179 days for the 1000 mg twice a day dose. During the first four weeks of therapy, while patients were maintained on their originally assigned dose, there were 11 deaths in 255 patients taking 500 mg twice daily and 18 deaths in 214 patients taking 1000 mg twice daily.
Dosage-Ranging Monotherapy Trials In Pediatric AIDS Patients With MAC
Trial 4 was a pediatric trial of 3.75 mg/kg, 7.5 mg/kg, and 15 mg/kg of BIAXIN twice daily in patients with CDC-defined AIDS and CD4 counts less than 100 cells/mcL. The trial enrolled 25 patients between the ages of 1 to 20. The trial evaluated the same endpoints as in the adult trials 1 and 2. Results with the 7.5 mg/kg twice daily dose in the pediatric trial were comparable to those for the 500 mg twice daily regimen in the adult trials.
Combination Therapy In AIDS Patients With Disseminated MAC
Trial 5 compared the safety and efficacy of BIAXIN in combination with ethambutol versus BIAXIN in combination with ethambutol and clofazimine for the treatment of disseminated MAC (dMAC) infection. This 24-week trial enrolled 106 patients with AIDS and dMAC, with 55 patients randomized to receive BIAXIN and ethambutol, and 51 patients randomized to receive Egelif, ethambutol, and clofazime. Baseline characteristics between treatment arms were similar with the exception of median CFU counts being at least 1 log higher in the BIAXIN, ethambutol, and clofazime arm.
Compared to prior experience with Egelif monotherapy, the two-drug regimen of Egelif and ethambutol extended the time to microbiologic relapse, largely through suppressing the emergence of Egelif resistant strains. However, the addition of clofazimine to the regimen added no additional microbiologic or clinical benefit. Tolerability of both multidrug regimens was comparable with the most common adverse events being gastrointestinal in nature. Patients receiving the clofazimine-containing regimen had reduced survival rates; however, their baseline mycobacterial colony counts were higher. The results of this trial support the addition of ethambutol to Egelif for the treatment of initial dMAC infections but do not support adding clofazimine as a third agent.
Where can I find more information about Egelif?
More information about Egelif is available:
- Recommendations on the HIV-related uses of Egelif, from the Gu >Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , the National Institutes of Health , and the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Egelif-related research studies, from the A >ClinicalTrials.gov study summaries
The above Patient Version drug summary is based on the following FDA label(s): Tablet; Suspension; Tablet (film-coated, extended release).
Egelif and the 14-OH Egelif metabolite distribute readily into body tissues and fluids. There are no data available on cerebrospinal fluid penetration. Because of high intracellular concentrations, tissue concentrations are higher than serum concentrations. Examples of tissue and serum concentrations are presented below.
Table 9: Tissue and Serum Concentrations of Egelif
Outcome and Management
The minor serum aminotransferase elevations that appear during therapy with Egelif are usually benign, asymptomatic and resolve rapidly whether or not Egelif is stopped. The acute hepatic injury with jaundice, however, can be prolonged and troublesome and lead to loss of intrahepatic bile ducts and vanishing bile duct syndrome. Rare instances of fatality from Egelif induced liver disease have been reported. It is unclear whether there is cross sensivity to hepatic injury about the different macrolide antibiotics, but after severe injury from one macrolide, it is prudent to avoid use of the others.
Serious side effects
Call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects. Call 911 if your symptoms feel life-threatening or if you think you’re having a medical emergency. Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
- Liver problems. Symptoms can include:
- tiredness or weakness
- loss of appetite
- upper stomach pain
- dark-colored urine
- yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
- fast or chaotic heartbeats
Disclaimer: Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and current information. However, because drugs affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this information includes all possible side effects. This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always discuss possible side effects with a healthcare provider who knows your medical history.
- Liver problems warning: This drug may cause liver problems. Tell your doctor if you have symptoms of liver problems. These include dark-colored urine, itchiness, upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, or yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
- QT prolongation warning: Egelif may cause the heart rhythm problem QT prolongation. This condition may cause fast, chaotic heartbeats.
- Diarrhea warning: Almost all antibiotics, including Egelif, can cause Clostr >
Egelif oral tablet is a prescription drug that’s available as the brand-name drug Biaxin. It’s also available as a generic drug. Generic drugs usually cost less. In some cases, they may not be available in every strength or form as the brand-name version.
Egelif oral tablet comes in an immediate-release release form and an extended-release form. Egelif also comes as an oral suspension.
Drugs you should not use with Egelif
Taking certain drugs with Egelif can cause dangerous effects in your body. Examples of drugs you shouldn’t take with Egelif include:
- Colchicine. If you have kidney or liver problems, you shouldn’t take colchicine and Egelif together. People with liver problems might have higher levels of colchicine in their body. Taking these drugs together can increase your risk of side effects.
- Drugs used to treat cholesterol (statins), such as simvastatin and lovastatin. Taking these drugs with Egelif may cause severe muscle problems.
- Sildenafil, tadalafil, and vardenafil. Taking these drugs with Egelif can cause their levels to build up in your body and cause more side effects.
- Ergotamine and dihydroergotamine. Taking these drugs with Egelif may cause sudden narrowing of your blood vessels (vasospasm). It may also cause reduced blood flow to your arms and legs.
- Pimozide. Taking this drug with Egelif may result in serious, abnormal heart rhythms.
- HIV drugs, such as atazanavir, lopinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, indinavir, and saquinavir. These drugs can build up in your body or cause Egelif to build up in your body. This may cause more side effects or cause either drug to not be as effective.
- Hepatitis C virus infection drugs, such as ombitasvir, telaprevir, and paritaprevir. These drugs can build up in your body or cause Egelif to build up in your body. This may cause more side effects or cause either drug to not be as effective.
- Fungal drugs, such as itraconazole, ketoconazole, and voriconazole. These drugs can build up in your body or cause Egelif to build up in your body. This may cause more side effects or cause either drug to not be as effective.
- Other antibiotics, such as telithromycin. These drugs can build up in your body or cause Egelif to build up in your body. This may cause more side effects or cause either drug to not be as effective.
By Julie Marks | Medically Reviewed by Sherry Brooks, MD
Latest Update: 2014-09-03 Copyright © 2014 Everyday Health Media, LLC
What are the side effects of Egelif?
Egelif generally is well tolerated, and side effects usually are mild and transient. Common side effects of Egelif are:
Other important side effects which are rare, but serious include:
Egelif should be avoided by patients known to be allergic to Egelif or other chemically-related macrolide antibiotics, such as erythromycin. Treatment with Egelif and other antibiotics can alter the normal bacteria flora of the colon and permit overgrowth of C. difficile, a bacterium responsible for pseudomembranous colitis. Patients who develop pseudomembranous colitis as a result of antibiotics treatment may experience diarrhea, abdominal pain, fever, and sometimes even shock.
Rated Egelif for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis Report
I wouldn't recommend this tablet. Massive to swallow when your throat is almost closed over. Taken them for three days and am givng up. Awful bitter metallic taste in my mouth and then today i felt the need to poop twice both times the toilet water was almost red with blood like a heavy period would be. Terrified of wgat these tablets are doing inside our bodies. Researched side effects which say symptoms should go away 3 days after stopping. Never again . Awful tablet.