IRBESARTAN RECALL Certain medications that contain the blood pressure drug Arbit have been recalled. If you take Arbit, talk to your doctor about what you should do. Do not stop taking your blood pressure medication without talking to your doctor first.
Learn more about the recall here .
- Arbit oral tablet is available as a brand-name drug and a generic drug. Brand name: Avapro.
- Arbit comes only as a tablet you take by mouth.
- Arbit is used to lower your blood pressure. It’s also used to help your k >
In healthy subjects, single oral Arbit doses of up to 300 mg produced dose-dependent inhibition of the pressor effect of angiotensin II infusions. Inhibition was complete (100%) 4 hours following oral doses of 150 mg or 300 mg and partial inhibition was sustained for 24 hours (60% and 40% at 300 mg and 150 mg, respectively).
In hypertensive patients, angiotensin II receptor inhibition following chronic administration of Arbit causes a 1.5- to 2-fold rise in angiotensin II plasma concentration and a 2- to 3-fold increase in plasma renin levels. Aldosterone plasma concentrations generally decline following Arbit administration, but serum potassium levels are not significantly affected at recommended doses.
In hypertensive patients, chronic oral doses of Arbit (up to 300 mg) had no effect on glomerular filtration rate, renal plasma flow, or filtration fraction. In multiple dose studies in hypertensive patients, there were no clinically important effects on fasting triglycerides, total cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol, or fasting glucose concentrations. There was no effect on serum uric acid during chronic oral administration, and no uricosuric effect.
Special dosage considerations
For people who take a diuretic or are on dialysis: If you take a water pill or need dialysis for kidney problems, your doctor may start you at a lower dosage of 75 mg once per day.
Disclaimer: Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and current information. However, because drugs affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this list includes all possible dosages. This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always speak with your doctor or pharmacist about dosages that are right for you.
Arbit oral tablet is used for long-term treatment. It comes with serious risks if you don't take it as prescribed.
If you stop taking the drug or don’t take it at all:
For high blood pressure: Your blood pressure will stay high. This will increase your risk of having a stroke or heart attack.
For diabetic nephropathy: Your kidney function won’t improve.
Don’t stop taking Arbit without talking to your doctor. Stopping it suddenly can cause your blood pressure to spike. This may increase your risk of a heart attack or stroke.
If you miss doses or don’t take it on schedule: Your medication may not work as well or may stop working completely. For this drug to work well, a certain amount needs to be in your body at all times.
If you take too much: If you take too much of this drug, you might have the following symptoms:
- feeling like your heart is pounding
If you think you’ve taken too much of this drug, call your doctor or seek guidance from the American Association of Poison Control Centers at 1-800-222-1222 or through their online tool. But if your symptoms are severe, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room right away.
What to do if you miss a dose: If you forget to take your dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it’s just a few hours until the time for your next dose, wait and only take one dose at that time.
Never try to catch up by taking two doses at once. This could cause dangerous side effects.
How to tell if the drug is working:
For high blood pressure: Your blood pressure should be lower.
For diabetic nephropathy: You might not be able to tell if this drug is helping your kidney function. However, your doctor will do tests to make sure the drug is working.
Keep these considerations in mind if your doctor prescribes Arbit for you.
- Store Arbit at room temperature from 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Don’t freeze Arbit.
- Keep this drug away from light.
- Don’t store this medication in moist or damp areas, such as bathrooms.
Before taking Arbit, tell you doctor if you have or have ever had:
Also let your physician know if you have diabetes and are taking the drug aliskiren (Tekturna, Amturnide, Tekamlo).
This medicine might not work as well in African Americans. Talk to your doctor if this is a concern for you.
Let your doctor know if you're on a low-salt diet or if you're dehydrated before taking this medicine.
Tell your physician if you experience diarrhea, vomiting, or excessive sweating while taking Arbit, because you may be at an increased risk for developing low blood pressure.
Check with your healthcare provider before using a salt substitute or any product that has potassium in it while using Arbit.
This medicine shouldn't be given to a child younger than 16. Safety and effectiveness in this age group haven't been established.
Be sure to let your doctor know you're taking this medicine before having any type of surgery, including a dental procedure.
This medicine will help control high blood pressure, but it won't cure the condition.
It might take up to two weeks before you experience the full benefits of the drug. Don't stop taking Arbit without first talking to your doctor.
Your physician will probably want to perform frequent lab tests while you take this medicine. Keep all appointments with your doctor and laboratory.
1. About Arbit
Arbit is a medicine widely used to treat high blood pressure.
Arbit helps to prevent future strokes, heart attacks and kidney problems.
This medicine is only available on prescription. It comes as tablets.
Antes de tomar irbesartГЎn:
- Informe a su mГ©dico y a su farmacГ©utico si es alГ©rgico al irbesartГЎn, a algГєn otro medicamento o a alguno de los ingredientes en las tabletas de irbesartГЎn. PГdale a su farmacГ©utico una lista de los ingredientes.
- dГgale a su mГ©dico si usted tiene diabetes (azГєcar alta) y estГЎ tomando aliskiren (Tekturna, en Amturnide, Tekamlo, Tekturna HCT). Su doctor probablemente le dirГЎ que no tome Arbit si usted tiene diabetes y tambiГ©n estГЎ tomando aliskiren.
- Informe a su mГ©dico y a su farmacГ©utico quГ© otros medicamentos con y sin receta, vitaminas, suplementos nutricionales y productos herbarios estГЎ tomando o planea tomar. No olvide mencionar ninguno de los siguientes: inhibidores de la enzima convertidora de la angiotensina (ACE, por sus siglas en inglГ©s) como benazepril (Lotensin, en Lotrel), captopril (Capoten, en Capozide), enalapril (Vasotec), fosinopril, lisinopril (en Prinzide, en Zestoretic), moexipril (Univasc, en Uniretic), perindopril, (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril, en Accuretic, en Quinaretic), ramipril (Altace) y trandolapril (Mavik, en Tarka);aspirina y otros medicamentos antiinflamatorios no esteroides (NSAID, por sus siglas en inglГ©s), como ibuprofeno (Advil, Motrin), naproxeno (Aleve, Naprosyn), e inhibidores selectivos de la COX-2, como celecoxib (Celebrex); diurГ©ticos ("pastillas contra la retenciГіn de agua"); y suplementos de potasio. Es posible que su mГ©dico deba cambiar las dosis de sus medicamentos o vigilarlo de cerca por si presentara efectos secundarios.
- Informe a su mГ©dico si tiene o ha tenido insuficiencia cardГaca o enfermedad renal.
- Informe a su mГ©dico si estГЎ dando el pecho.
- Tenga en cuenta que el irbesartГЎn puede provocarle mareos, aturdimiento y desvanecimiento si se levanta demasiado rГЎpido despuГ©s de estar acostado. Esto es mГЎs comГєn al empezar a tomar el irbesartГЎn. Para ayudar a evitar con este problema, levГЎntese de la cama lentamente y apoye los pies en el piso durante unos minutos antes de ponerse de pie.
- Tenga en cuenta que la diarrea, los vГіmitos, no beber suficiente lГquido y la sudoraciГіn abundante pueden causarle disminuciГіn de la presiГіn arterial, lo que puede provocar aturdimiento y desvanecimiento. Informe a su mГ©dico si tiene alguno de estos problemas o si aparecen durante su tratamiento.
Missed Dose of Arbit
If you miss a dose of Arbit, take it as soon as you remember.
But skip the missed dose if it's almost time for your next dose.
Don't take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.