What other drugs will affect Azitrom?
Tell your doctor about all your current medicines and any you start or stop using, especially:
a blood thinner - warfarin, Coumadin, Jantoven.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may interact with Azitrom, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible interactions are listed in this medication guide.
Getting the most from your treatment
- If you are also taking an antacid for indigestion, it can increase the time it takes for Azitrom to be absorbed by your body. Because of this, it is recommended that you do not take indigestion remedies during the two hours before or during the two hours after you take a dose of Azitrom.
- Some people develop thrush (redness and itchiness in the mouth or vagina) after taking a course of antibiotics. If this happens to you, speak with your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
- This antibiotic may stop the oral typhoid vaccine from working. If you are having any vaccinations, make sure the person treating you knows that you are taking this medicine.
- If you are having an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment that you are taking Azitrom.
- If you buy any medicines, check with a pharmacist that they are suitable to take with this antibiotic.
- If you still feel unwell after completing your course of the antibiotic, make another appointment to see your doctor.
Significant abnormalities (irrespective of drug relationship) occurring during the clinical trials were reported as follows:
- With an incidence of 1-2%, elevated serum creatine phosphokinase, potassium, ALT (SGPT), GGT, and AST (SGOT).
- With an incidence of less than 1%, leukopenia, neutropenia, decreased platelet count, elevated serum alkaline phosphatase, bilirubin, BUN, creatinine, blood glucose, LDH, and phosphate.
When follow-up was provided, changes in laboratory tests appeared to be reversible.
In multiple-dose clinical trials involving more than 3000 patients, 3 patients discontinued therapy because of treatment-related liver enzyme abnormalities and 1 because of a renal function abnormality.
In a phase 1 drug interaction study performed in normal volunteers, 1 of 6 subjects given the combination of Azitrom and rifabutin, 1 of 7 given rifabutin alone, and 0 of 6 given Azitrom alone developed a clinically significant neutropenia ( 5% of subjects with normal baseline values in the pivotal trial for treatment of disseminated MAC in severely immunocompromised HIV-infected patients treated with Azitrom 600 mg daily in combination with ethambutol include: a reduction in absolute neutrophils to
4.5 Determination in body flu > Azitrom concentrations versus time profiles in extracellular space of muscle and subcutaneous adipose tissue, also in plasma and white blood cells, were determined at days 1 and 3 of treatment as well as 2 and 7 days after end of treatment. Of all compartments, Azitrom concentrations were highest in white blood cells, attesting for intracellular accumulation. However, Azitrom concentrations in both soft tissues were markedly lower than in plasma both during and after treatment. Azitrom concentrations were measured by subinhibitory at all time points in both soft tissues and at the large majority of observed time points in plasma .
There are no significant differences in the disposition of Azitrom between male and female subjects. No dosage adjustment is recommended on the basis of gender.
Azitrom and Alcohol
Alcohol may increase or worsen certain side effects caused by Azitrom, such as dizziness and upset stomach.
In controlled clinical studies, Azitrom has been administered to pediatric patients ranging in age from 6 months to 12 years. For information regarding the use of ZITHROMAX (Azitrom for oral suspension) in the treatment of pediatric patients, of the prescribing information for ZITHROMAX (Azitrom for oral suspension) 100 mg/5 mL and 200 mg/5 mL bottles.
HIV-Infected Pediatric Patients: The safety and efficacy of Azitrom for the prevention or treatment of MAC in HIV-infected children have not been established. Safety data are available for 72 children 5 months to 18 years of age (mean 7 years) who received Azitrom for treatment of opportunistic infections. The mean duration of therapy was 242 days (range 3-2004 days) at doses of 300 mg/day for a mean of 207 days. These patients were treated for a variety of opportunistic infections, including MAC. The adverse reaction were generally similar to that seen in younger patients, except for a higher incidence of adverse reactions relating to the gastrointestinal system and to reversible impairment of hearing.
Trachoma is an infectious disease caused by the Chlamydia trachomatis bacteria. Symptoms and signs include redness and irritation of the eyes with tearing. Trachoma is diagnosed by examining the eyes and eyelids. Treatment involves a single dose of Azitrom (Zithromax) or the use of topical tetracycline (Achromycin) ointment. Infected individuals should be counseled about sanitation and taught simple cleanliness.
What brand names are available for Azitrom (Zithromax, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zmax)?
Zithromax, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zmax are the brand names available for Azitrom in the US.
Doxycycline vs. Azitrom: What's the difference?
- Doxycycline and Azitrom are antibiotics used to treat many different types of bacterial infections.
- Brand names for doxycycline include Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Atridox, Acticlate, Acticlate Cap, Doryx, Doxteric, Doxy, and Monodox.
- Brand names for Azitrom include Zithromax, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zithromax Z-Pak, and Zmax.
- Doxycycline and Azitrom are different types of antibiotics. Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic and Azitrom is a macrolide antibiotic.
- Side effects of doxycycline and Azitrom that are similar include diarrhea or loose stools, nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting.
- Side effects of doxycycline that are different from Azitrom include tooth discoloration if used in persons below 8 years of age and exaggerated sunburn.
- Side effects of Azitrom that are different from doxycycline include rash, nervousness, vaginitis, tongue discoloration, ringing in the ears, and indigestion.
What is the dosage for Azitrom (Zithromax, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zmax)?
- Azitrom (except Zmax) can be taken with or without food, but food reduces stomach upset.
- Zmax should be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal since food reduces its absorption.
- The adult Azitrom dose is 500-2000 mg in multiple or single doses.
- For most infections, Azitrom is taken once daily for a relatively short course of treatment (usually five days).
- The first dose is often a "double dose," twice as much as the remainder of the doses given.
- For acute bacterial sinusitis, Azitrom way be taken once daily for three days.
- Zmax usually is given as a single 2 gm dose.