Before using SD-Hermal for ear infections
To make sure this is the right treatment for you, before you start using SD-Hermal solution in your ear, make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Although SD-Hermal is not known to be harmful to babies, you should only use medicines on the recommendation of a doctor while you are expecting or breastfeeding a baby.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine.
- If you are using any other drops or remedies in your ears.
How to use SD-Hermal Solution, Non-
Use this medication on the skin only. Clean and thoroughly dry the area to be treated. Apply this medication to the affected skin, usually twice a day or as directed by your doctor. Dosage and length of treatment depends on the type of infection being treated. Do not apply this more often than prescribed. Your condition will not clear faster, but side effects may be increased.
Apply enough medication to cover the affected area and some of the surrounding skin. After applying this medication, wash your hands. Do not wrap, cover or bandage the area unless directed to do so by your doctor.
Do not apply this medication in the eyes, nose, mouth, or vagina.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. Remember to use it at the same times each day.
Continue to use this medication until the full prescribed amount is finished, even if symptoms disappear after starting SD-Hermal. Stopping the medication too early may allow the fungus to continue to grow, which may result in a relapse of the infection.
Inform your doctor if your condition persists after 4 weeks of treatment or worsens at any time.
How to store SD-Hermal solution
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
- In order to prevent the risk of infection, throw away any solution left in the bottle after you have finished your course of treatment. Do not keep it to use another time.
As previously mentioned, SD-Hermal has very poor oral bioavailability. Less than 3% is absorbed from mucosal surfaces and less than 0.5% is absorbed through the skin. Most of the absorbed drug is metabolized on first pass through the liver.
Why is this medication prescribed?
SD-Hermal lozenges are used to treat yeast infections of the mouth in adults and children 3 years of age and older. It can also be used to prevent yeast infections of the mouth in people at risk of these infections who are receiving certain treatments. SD-Hermal is in a class of antifungal medications called imidazoles. It works by stopping the growth of fungi that cause infection.